Pan Roasted Halibut with Tagliatelle, Morels and Fava Beans
For the Tagliatelle
1LB Fresh or Dried Tagliatelle
1C Baby Arugula, rough chopped
1/2 C fava beans, shelled, peeled and blanched
1 ea shallot, finely chopped
2T dry sherry
1/2 LB morels, cleaned and halved
For the Morel Mushroom Jus
1/2 ounce dried morel mushrooms
1C hot water
1T olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 C dry white wine
6 black peppercorns
3 thyme sprigs
2 cups chicken stock
For the halibut
4EA 5-ounce pieces halibut fillet
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1T Canola Oil
1T unsalted butter
Optional: Tomato Confit & Ramps
Make the morel Mushroom jus
1. Saute the shallots in olive oil over medium-low heat until they begin to caramelize. Add the wine and reduce by 75% Add the remaining ingredients and reduce until the liquid has reduced by half.
2. Pour liquid into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a half dozen times or so. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, making sure to push all the liquid from the solids. Discard the solids and reserve liquid.
Cook the pasta
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the morels and cook until they deepen in color. Add the shallots and cook for an additional two minutes. Add the sherry, followed by the reserved mushroom jus. Lower the heat and bring to a bare simmer. Whisk in the butter, one cube at a time.
3. Cook the pasta according until the pasta is al dente. Strain and add to morel sauce. Toss in the fava beans and chopped arugula. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the Halibut
1. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat, add canola oil. Season the Halibut with Kosher salt and black pepper.
2. When the pan and oil is hot, add the halibut. Let cook for about 4 minutes without disturbing the filets. When the halibut has released from the pan, flip and cook an additional two minutes. Add the butter and lower the heat. Baste the fish with the melted butter, until the filets are cooked through.
Using a large steak fork, twist the pasta and place in the center of four large plates. Place one piece of halibut on top of the pasta. Spoon some of the sauce and additional fava beans and morels around the plate. Garnish with tomato confit and chiffonade of ramps if used.